Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
Experience:  19 years of clinical experience in all phases of Dentistry.

I just had my front tooth removed yesterday and wearing a flipper.

Customer Question

I just had my front tooth removed yesterday and wearing a flipper. This is very uncomfortable. the palate of the flipper does not conform to the roof of my mouth, it curves outward towards my tongue. When I bite down I'm not biting on my teeth but on the sides of the flipper. So you can imagine if I eat i'm chewing with my flipper. My gums are throbbing right now. Is this normal? Is it a matter where I just need to get used to it? My dentist said that he could not put in the implant right away due to a part of my bone being too thin.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Girish replied 7 years ago.
thanks for posting your question on just Answser

It is normal for you to feel uncomfortable with the flipper for 1 -2 week some patients take about a month to get adjusted because it is a foreign body, and all the muscles, cheeks, tongue lips have to get adjusted to it.

yes your gums will throb from the flipper for the first few days

It is advisable to eat soft food like noodles pasta etc for the first days till you get used to flipper

I feel you need wear it for 1 week and then if you still have problems you can go back in for some adjustments

Dr Girish