Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
Experience:  19 years of clinical experience in all phases of Dentistry.
16885978

I have a lip burning sensation. Is there any treatment for

Customer Question

I have a lip burning sensation. Is there any treatment for this? I keep putting lip balm on it but it doesn't seem to work.
Category: Dental
Expert:  mehrdadhassid replied 4 years ago.

How old are you?

Any medical conditions or meds?

How long have you had these symptoms?

Are your lips dry or swollen?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am 37

no medical conditions nor meds but I was taking vitamin E for hair and nails

I had it for about a year or two-It would go away and then come back

My lips are not swollen but very-very dry and they have a brown spot like they were burnt

Thanks.

The best remedies for dry and painful lips include: Applying unflavored lip balm, avoid flavored toothpaste, drink plenty of fluids, apply aloe vera gel, rub cucumber slices on the lips.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

but my lips are not painful. They just have a burning sensation..as though they are burning, which makes them chapped. I was applyimg a lip balm...for three days now. Is this some kind of disease? It seems so odd that I would have or anyone would have a burning sensation on their lip? The burning sensation makes them dry. I don't normally have dry lips.

Expert:  Dr. Girish replied 4 years ago.
hi,
thanks for posting your question on Just Answer

You need to apply

www.orajel.com

20 percent benzocaine will numb your lip, and you will get good relief

also apply vaseline on your lips and keep them moist all the time.

please carry a chapstick with you at all times to keep your lips moist
and use Orajel for a couple a days

In most cases there is no disease which causes burning of the lips

please avoid hot and spicy food

Best wishes

Dr Girish
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 4 years ago.
Dear ,

Granted, sometimes burning and dry lips are just simply chapped lips, sometimes from sun exposure, and sometimes from an unconscious lip-licking habit. However, the duration of over a year, and the fact that the condition has not responded to the application of emollient dressings, suggests that what you're dealing with is more than just chapped lips. Keep in mind that burning and dryness are symptoms-- they do not of themselves constitute a
diagnosis, and one cannot provide an appropriate means of management without first identifying the problem. You are well past the point where suggestions for symptomatic treatment are prudent.

There are a host of mucous membrane disorders that can affect the lips; some of them are trivial (e.g., lichen planus), while others potentially malignant (solar keratosis, melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma). Although the intermittent nature of your symptoms suggests that this is not malignant, there is the potential for malignancy to arise in an episodic pre-malignant lesion; hence the need to implement further diagnostic efforts.

In short, the time for self-treatment is past-- you need a doctor to assess your problem in person so that a formal diagnosis can be obtained. For this reason, I suggest that you consult with an oral pathologist. Doctors in this specialty are particularly skilled at the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the mouth and lips, and it is with one of these doctors that you are most likely to obtain a reliable diagnosis and appropriate management of your complaint. Your dentist can provide you with a referral to an oral pathologist, or you may find contact information on the online directory of the American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Use Orajel? The one for the tooth?

yes you can use the same orajel 20 percent for the teeth
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Two different doctors answered the question with two different answers and neither one of them were the right physician. neither one of them were a pathologist if thats the kind of phsician I need to ask, why didn't you all send my question to a pathologist?.
Two different doctors answered the question with two different answers and neither one of them were the right physician. neither one of them were a pathologist if thats the kind of phsician I need to ask, why didn't you all send my question to a pathologist?