Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

Hi, My gums are swollen, bleeding and are turning a dark red.

Customer Question

Hi, My gums are swollen, bleeding and are turning a dark red. I've been brushing and flossing 4times a day. even rinsing my mouth with half water and the other half hydrogen peroxide 4times a day. And it does not seem to be getting any better. I don't have insurance. I'd really like to know if there's anything else i can do?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.

Bleeding from the gums is mainly due to injury or infection/inflammation of gums.

Bleeding from gums is the symptom of periodontal disease. Periodontal disease or gum disease is a chronic, low grade infection of the gum's surrounding the teeth. As it progresses, it slowly dissolves the bone around your teeth and over the period of time your teeth can become loose.

This infection is triggered by bacterial plaque which lies below the gingval margin (as subgingival deposits) and is usually hard to clean with brush which results in deepening of gingival sulcus thereby leading to pocket formation which attracts more of these toxins and it therefore becomes a vicious cycle.

Swollen gums, Loose teeth, pocket formation, bone defects and bone loss(as seen in x-rays) are the advanced symptoms of periodontal disease which manifest as disease progresses.

Periodontal disease can surely be treated and many of these symptoms can be reversed.

You need to go to a dentist that specializes in this disease, namely a Periodontist. Avisit to a periodontology department to a dental school nearby you will also be beneficial.The expert will diagnosis the severity of your condition and recommends the treatment accordingly.

Phase I therapy includes scaling and an root debridement which will take few visits at regular intervals. After the phase therapy is over your dentist will call you back for after an interval of a month or so for maintenance therapy and will evaluate your gums condition again, if there is improvement (which also depends on your oral hygiene (regular brushing, flossing, rinsing use of interdental aids etc will help you) & it will prevent it from escalating to the degree that cause further bone loss and damage.

The overall improvement also depends on your oral hygiene .You must take the following measures and maintain an excellent oral hygiene, which includes:

1)Regular brushing – twice daily, using soft bristle brush and changing tooth brush after every 3months.Use small strokes of brush starting from posterior most (last )teeth in the mouth.

2)Flossing, use of interdental aids.

3) Stop using hydrogen peroxide to rinse your mouth. It will all the more irritate your gums.Start using a mouth rinse/mouthwash such as Colgate periogard which is an broad spectrum antimicrobial agent. It is also very effective against gum infections. Use it twice daily after brushing (morning and before going to bed).

Read more about it here:

4) Vitamin C deficiency can also cause bleeding gums in some individuals. This leads to a nutritional deficiency known as scurvy, it can be resolved by adding more of citrus fruits in your diet such as lemon, oranges etc.Read more it in the link:

I hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again if you have any doubts or related queries. If you are satisfied please accept the answer.

I wish you well!