Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
Experience:  19 years of clinical experience in all phases of Dentistry.

Hello, I recently noticed a puss filled bump on my gum. Is

Hello, I recently noticed a puss filled bump on my gum. Is this an infection or gum disease. I am going to seek medical attention. I just want to have an idea
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Girish replied 4 years ago.
hello, from California

Yes it is an infection,

there are 2 possibilities here

1) you have a problem with the tooth which is infected and caused an abscess
2) you have a gum disease which has caused an abcess

an x ray will determine which of these conditions exists and the necessary treatment can be given

you will need antibiotics such as amoxycillin and anti inflammatory such as ibuprofen followed by professional dental care

please feel free to ask a follow up question if you have doubts

Best wishes

get your treatment done soon before it becomes more sever

Dr Girish
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just went into the restroom to look at it and it popped. Should I still seek medical attention or wait till it appears again...
you should definitely seek dental care

it important to find out, and also hope it is not a silent infection sitting in your bone painlessly

painless infections are sometimes more dangerous than painful ones because people tend to ignore the painless infections and they become more severe
by the time the person reaches the dentist it is too late and the person may have to loose the tooth or several teeth

best wishes

Dr Girish
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information and I will be making a appointment in the morning. I will accept this..
thanks best wishes
hope your problem is resolved soon

Dr Girish
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more thing before I accept is it contagious because I don't want to kiss my boyyfriend and pass it along
hi,

I would advise you to refrain from kissing
1) because the open sore will pass any infection
2)but you may get an infection from him because you have open tissues
that could give you an infection

Dr Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
Experience: 19 years of clinical experience in all phases of Dentistry.