Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I have a hard painless lump under my tongue. wondering what

I have a hard painless lump under my tongue. wondering what it might be.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is near midline and floating within the soft tissue of mouth floor.
Dear ,

The most likely reason for this type of lump is a stone in the submaxillary salivary duct. This conclusion is more likely if you tend to get copious amounts of tartar on the back surfaces of your lower
front teeth, which indicates that you have a high mineral content in your saliva. Other possibilities include some type of soft-tissue tumor, but this would be much less likely.

You should consult with your dentist to more formally identify the nature of this lump. If it is indeed a salivary duct stone, it can continue to enlarge, eventually obstructing the duct and causing inflammation of the gland associated with it. While th stone is small, it is easier to remove without resorting to surgery, so there is a window of opportunity here that should not be missed.

Good luck!