Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
Experience:  19 years of clinical experience in all phases of Dentistry.
16885978

I cracked molar #19. I went to my dentist the next day. The

I cracked molar #19. I went to my dentist the next day. The dentist removed the cracked portion (1/4 of tooth), shaved down the tooth and applied a temporary crown. The dentist informed me that I would need a crown lengthening procedure to allow enough tooth exposure to properly fit the permanent crown. I went to the referred periodontist for an evaluation. The periodontist informed me that I would possibly need a root canal. I said I would pull tooth before I would get a root canal. Currently, I am waiting for approval for coverage from the insurance company. However, I must admit that I am really uncomfortable with the idea of cutting away healthy gum and bone. I am also uncomfortable with the healing time (6 weeks) before impressions can be taken for permanent crown. I am considering having the tooth pulled instead. Other than a crown lengthening procedure and crown, is there any other way to restore the tooth? Is bonding an option? Thank you for your advice in advance.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Girish replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for posting your question on Just Answer

there is no other other option of to restore a broken tooth other than the crown.

Bonding is not an option.

The whole purpose of having a crown lengthening is to have enough tooth structure, for your crown to be cemented well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_lengthening

there has to be sufficient healing time before the margins of the gums are rounded enough so your impressions will be good and there will be no bleeding of the gums

Allowing the gums to heal well will give you a well fitting crown, that is contoured well around your gums

Best wishes
Dr Girish
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My I ask why bonding is not an option?
Bonding is not an option because, bonding will not withstand the forces of biting

1)the forces of biting on tooth 19 are too strong that the bonding will come off easily

2) bonding will not prevent your tooth from further cracking and you may lose your the other portion of your tooth

A crown will cover the tooth and protect it from biting forces, and it is very strong.

It is the restoration of choice for a broken molar

Best wishes
dr Girish
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What if I just pull the tooth? I ask this because I am very fearful of having gum and bone surgery. I worked with someone who had this done and they got a serious infection from the procedure. Thank you for your advice in advance.

sorry for the delay,

Pulling the tooth 19 is really not an advice, it would be your choice.

you will have to get a replacement, with an implant or a bridge after pulling the tooth out.

becasue some body (your friend)else had a problem that does not mean that you will have a problem.

Girish

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your answers so far. Sorry, I have a few more questions.

Regarding infection potential: Are there differences in infection rate/potential in the crown lenthening procedure versus pulling the tooth? Are antibiotics required for crown lengthening procedure? If so, how long is antibiotic treament?

Pain from procedures: Having had a tooth pulled before without the need for anything stronger than 2 Advil on first day after, is there likely to be more pain with gum/bone procedures in crown lenghtening? If so, how long does pain last? What is usually prescribed for pain?

Thank you again in advance for your advice
hi,

crown lengthening or extraction both have a very little chance of infection.
the rate and chance of infection depends on the individual persons immune response.

Antibitoic treatment is not always necessary, but your dentist may give you between 5-7 days of antibiotics

Pain medication may or may not be prescribed but becasue of your apprehension the dentist may prescribe you a pain killer (usally darvocet or lortab)

Best wishes

dr Girish
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks again for your advice so far. Please bear with me a little longer.

How long does a crown last? Does it prevent the possibility of any future infection to the tooth? Or can the tooth become infected anyway after a crown has been applied?

Thanks again for you advice in advance
crowns last any where from 10 25 years,

A crown has nothing to do with preventing infection, it prevents your tooth from breaking and restores the broken portion of the tooth.

If you have decay under the crown and, the tooth can become infected

the purpose of the crown is not to prevent infection It is to restore the broken tooth

Dr. Girish, Dentist
Experience: 19 years of clinical experience in all phases of Dentistry.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your patience and your advice.
Best wishes thanks for using Just Aswer