Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
Experience:  19 years of clinical experience in all phases of Dentistry.
16885978

What can cause blisters in the mouth?

I have a blister on my gum right by a tooth. I also have one right across from it on my lip/gum. One has busted. They are not small and have a water like substance in them. What is it?

Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Girish replied 7 years ago.

The most common cause of the blister is a chronic dental abscess.
Chronic abscesses are not painful,
the water like substance could be pus.

The most common cause of a problem like this a blow to the face, a long time time ago
http://www.softdental.com/diseases/periapical_and_dentoaveolar_abscesses.html
you will need to get an x ray and treatment soon.

Please look at the picture which says parulis on the link.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It's not an abscess. I know what they are and how they look. you can't get an abscess on your gum that is not attached to a tooth. Like I said they are good size and its a clear substance. My teeth don't hurt or anything.

The other options that could be found on the gum are most commonly herpes blisters if they are on the gum, apthous ulcers if they are on the cheek or lip.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

They are on both and they touch each other.

Can u attach a picture?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No, I’m at work. Say you pull your lip out, there’s the gum, and inside of your lip by your gums. That’s where they are. One below the tooth, and the other right across from it. One of them is busted.

I can wait till evening for the pictures, I want to give you a good answer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I’m going to my physician when I leave work. Do you think it could be from eating hot food? Maybe it burned my gums? That’s what the blister looks like.

It is possible to have blisters on the palate (roof of the mouth) usually from hot food.
I have not seen them frequently at the location you are mentioning. Unless you got some pizza or hot cheese stuck there.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok, I will contact you when I get home. I will get a picture, but like I said I only have one now because the other one busted. I’m just wondering if this is something serious that I should be worried about and seek attention right away.

I think you should make a dental appointment to get an x-ray of that region.
Nothing to be scared of.
You can send me the pictures later I will try and help you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The picture definitely looks like apthous stomatitis.

Here is what i think it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphthous

You should use this www.orajel.com.

The 20 percent Benzocaine will give you relief.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My doctor prescribed me some medicine with steroids in it. It's some type of dental paste. So this isn't anything to be to worried about? I also dip.

You did not tell me you dip,
I suggest you stop that immediately, and get a biopsy of this ASAP.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yeah but no one seems to understand that it started out as a blister, and not a sore. The picture you saw is after they popped. They were big, like burn blisters.

Yeah,
I understand, but the tobacco changes the whole equation.
It’s for your own good just go to an Oral surgeon and get a thorough check up.

And stop your dip ASAP.

More on Mouth Blisters

Blisters in the mouth can occur in several places, and could be many things. Blisters can occur not only on the gums, but on the inside of cheeks, the tongue, and on your lips. These sores are most commonly caused by one of three things, viral infections, trauma to the mouth, and changes in immunity.

Viral infections such as the flu can lead to canker sores (aphthous stomatitis). Canker sores typically appear on inside of the mouth. Canker sores are not contagious. Doctors treat these with prescription drugs, numbing creams, or – if persistent – dental lasers.

Trauma to the mouth can cause blisters as well. The most common kind of traumatic blister would be from a burn. Eating or drinking something that is too hot it could potentially cause irritation on your gums, tongue, or inner cheeks, leading to blisters. These types of blisters are not contagious and will tend to heal heal on their own in time.

Changes in your immune system, or vitamin deficiencies, could also cause these pesky sores to pop up. The most common sores associated with immune system changes in these are cold sores and canker sores. Cold sores and canker sores are very similar, the only real difference beingis where these sores appear. Canker sores occur on the inside of the mouth, and cold sores typically appear on the outside of the mouth. These will clear up on their own within a week or two but there are potential treatment options to aid in the discomfort that comes with them. Someone could gargle with salt water, apply a baking soda and water paste, use Orajel, prescription medications or creams, and avoid use of alcohol and tobacco.

As most of these sores do not need to be diagnosed if you are in doubt you may want to consult a doctor or an Expert. Possible causes for concern to seek medical attention could be a persistent blister or sore, or one that is leaking blood or pus.