Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.

Hello, I didnt wear my retainer for 3 years now. 3 days

I didn't wear my retainer for 3 years now. 3 days ago I put it on before sleep. It hurt very much but I would like to wear it until my teeth shift into the same position as after taking of my braces. Is this ok and will it work?

Thanks.

Michael
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 4 years ago.

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

As long as you can tolerate the tightness and the soreness that will come with wearing the retainer after such a long time, your teeth should shift back into the position that they were in when you first got it. It will probably take a few months for the teeth to get back to their original position so be patient. You will notice the the retainer starts to fit better and better as the teeth go back into position.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any concerns regarding this issue that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.

Sincerely,

George McKee DDS

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you the question has been answered great. Just one more thing I would like to ask. After the month my teeth have shifted back will I only need to wear the retainer at night?

Thank you.
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience: Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, thank you. My last question is whether it is enough to wear my retainer at night or should i wear it 24/7. Because the pain is very bad.