Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
Experience:  19 years of clinical experience in all phases of Dentistry.
16885978

My left jaw joint clicks and pops when I eat or open my mouth,

My left jaw joint clicks and pops when I eat or open my mouth, although the clicking is not frequent. I hear about 2 or 3 clicks a day. This has started about a month ago. i also have tinnitus in both ears, but that has been with me for 2 years now. I am not sure if I have TMJ? My friend has TMJ, she says that if I don't experience pain, then I probably don't have TMJ. I went to see my dentist and there is no sign or wear or tear in my teeth since I don't grind my teeth. Is there a way to find out if I have TMJ for sure? For example, by taking a X-ray? If I know I have TMJ, then I will ask my acupuncture doctor to help treat my TMJ since I have been going to him to get acupuncture treatment for tinnitus. Thank you so much for your time.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Girish replied 5 years ago.
thanks for posting your question on Just Answer

yes there are specialized x rays for the TMJ (temporo mandibular joint)
you can also take an CT scan or MRI

you will have to go to an Oral surgeon for that who specializes in TMJ disorders

the clicking and popping is not a very serious problem but may be an indicator of TMJ malfunction

Please get a referral to an Oral surgeon who deals with TMJ disorders

Best Wishes

Dr Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
Experience: 19 years of clinical experience in all phases of Dentistry.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Dr. Girish,

Thank you for your response. I have scheduled an appointment with a dentist who specializes in TMJ, however, he is on vacation for 2 weeks. Should I wait for 2 weeks or should I go to another dentist and have this TMJ thing looked at asap? Is TMJ one of those diseases that will have a higher chance of successful treatment when treated early?

My friend told me to not open my mouth wide and to eat soft food for 3 months, I have been doing that for a few days and the click sound seemed to happen less frequently. Will the jaw bones heal themselves when I rest them just like the time when I broke my arm and wore a cast and my arm bone just healed itself? Thank you very much.

I would like to pay a fee for the time that you have spent on answering my follow-up question. Please also tell me which link I should click when I receive my follow-up answer. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Louise

thanks for your response, It is ok to wait for 2 weeks no need to hurry now,
Yes early treatment is good, but the 2 weeks is not a problem.

Yes do not open wide and avoid food like a burgers for which you have to open your mouth wide.

With the TMJ th problem is more likely to be with the joint cartilage rather than the bone itself.

since cartilage does not have a blood supply, It is difficult to heal by itself, but th symptoms will reduce with rest to the joint.

Best wishes

Dr Girish

Dr. Girish, Dentist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Dr. Girish,

Thank you for your answers. I suppose I shouldn't surf the internet for tmj because some of the information that I have read on the internet are a little distressing. As I have written in my first email, I have had tinnitus for 2 years now. I read on the internet that tmj can cause hearing loss, that made me a bit stressed. Will tmj hearing loss go away and the patient regain normal once the tmj is being treated, or will the person lose hearing permanently even if he/she is being treated for tmj?

Regarding the fact that cartilage doesn't have blood supply, does it mean that cartilages will not heal by itself? Is there anything that I can do to promote the healing of the cartilages?

Thank you Dr. Girish,

Louise

Louise,

you cannot do anything to promote the healing the of cartilage, some supplements are promoted in the market called glucosamine and chondroitin, they are supposed to help but no definite results seen.

Yeah It is best you go to a TMJ specialist, Hearing loss is not related to the TMJ.

hearing and TMJ are 2 separate issues and they are not related to each other so no need to be stressed on that

Best wishes

Dr Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Girish,

I went to an Oral Surgeon who specializes in TMJ, he didn't ask me too many questions, just scheduled me for a MRI. Lately, my tinnitus has been pretty bad, and my ENT doctor told me to avoid loud noise for a few months while I am being treated for my tinnitus. I was wondering, can I call the Oral Surgeon office and ask them to schedule me for TMJ X-ray instead of an MRI? I don't think my TMJ is that serious, I just hear the clicking sound, ever since I have been eating soft food for a few weeks, i haven't heard the clicking sound, I don't feel any pain, and the nurse told me to open my mouth as big as possible and said that I can open my mouth like a normal person. My question is, if I ask the office to schedule me for a X-ray instead of a MRI, will there be valuable information that will be missing that can only be seen with a MRI? If not, then I will do a X-ray at his office first, because the last time I did a MRI, there was pretty loud noise inside the machine for about 20 minutes. Thanks Dr. Girish.

Best Regards,

Louise

Expert:  Dr. Girish replied 4 years ago.
Louise,

I feel that your Oral Surgeon Has to have a look at your TMJ an then decide if he wants an MRI or An X ray, both tests reveal different sets of information.

dont worry about the noise in the machine, I have several MRIs myself carry lots of earplugs and stuff them in the ear.

also dicuss with your your oral surgeon your tinnitus problem

Let him make the decision what he wants the MRI or the X ray, because he is going to be treating you

Best wishes

Dr Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Dr. Girish,

Thank you for your answer. I have another question which I have been hesitating to ask because it is a bit weird :-) I have been getting acupuncture treatments for my tinnitus, and each time the acupuncture doctor would stick needles around my ear, including the spot right before my ear. I was wondering if the acupuncture could be responsible for causing my TMJ problems? Because I remember that there were 2 times that right after I left the acupuncture clinic, and I start talking, I would hear clicks in my right ear when I open my mouth to talk, and I haven't been going to the acupuncture doctor for 2 weeks now I don't hear the clicks in my right ear. I am not sure if you would have the answers to my question, it's okay if not because I know that my concern is a bit strange. Thanks again Dr. Girish, best wishes to you and your practice.

thanks,

Louise

Louise ,

I would request the accupuncture doctor to see if he can use other points apart from the ones in front of the ear,

My father was an MD and an accupunturist, as a child I have seen great results from the accupunture treatment. It works well with chronic conditions that cannot be treated with western medicine

There is a possibility the the needles may be hurting around your TM Joint, and that could be because of the inflammation around the joint area.

Please use a warm bottle around your joint for 3-4 times a day to relax the muscles near the joint and you can also use it alternatively with ice

and refrain from opening your mouth wide that will help a whole lot in TMJ problems

best wishes

Dr Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist