Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
8847979
Dental

if a tooth is broken off at the gum line can it be rebuilt

to accept a crown I... Show More
to accept a crown I have had a crown on it but the prep broke when the crown came off No pain no root canal
Category: Dental
replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.

The thumb rule that we follow, or that we would like to follow, is that the crown should be resting on sound tooth structure. What I mean is, at least the bottom 1/3rd of the tooth should be still present.

The rest of it can be built up with silver amalgam or cement.

In cases where the tooth has been badly destroyed, all is not lost. What is done then, is placement of a post (think of it as a cylindrical pin) inside the root canals, and then building up the rest of the tooth. This gives the tooth extra strength.

So as the botXXXXX XXXXXne is, unless the tooth is shaky, almost any tooth these days can be crowned, with some modifications in the procedure.

Crown lenghtening procedure can also be done on your tooth for the proper placement of the crowns.

I would like to conclude by saying that until and unless your tooth is not mobile i.e. is not shaky it can be filled and crowned with certain modifications.

I would therefore recommend you to consult your dentist as soon as possible and get the tooth looked at soon. A clinical evaluation along with an x-ray will confirm the prognosis of this tooth.

I hope this helps!

If you have any more questions, please feel free to respond to this question.If you are satisfied please don't forget to ACCEPT the answer.

Good Luck!

Dr. Hans