Julian Chen
Julian Chen, Dentist
Experience:  Practicing General Dentist since 2002

I had a deep filling close to the nerve on Thursday. Thursday

I had a deep filling close to the nerve on Thursday. Thursday and Friday it hardly bothered me. Starting Saturday I get a sharp pain that only lasts a second then goes (only 3 or 4 times). Sunday, today, i have got this more often (about 5 times already before dinner). It seems this happens for no reason, not while eating or drinking or biting on it. My dentist wants me to wait. I feel it is getting worse and should go for a root canal tomorrow before the pain stays & don't go away. Looking for another opinion.

It is possible that the tooth may not have responded well to the procedure and RCT might be necessary. However, it is up to you whether you want to rush into it, or give it some more time.

I realize that it feels like the symptoms are getting worse, and more frequently you're feeling this strange, sharp, spontaneous pain. So the prospect of waiting a few more days may not sound prudent to you.

If you're up for you, you can try and do some testing at home. You can check for thermal sensitivity. Get a glass of ice cold water and take a gulp of it and try and hold the ice water over the tooth with the deep filling. If you feel any pain, quickly spit out or swallow the water and then observe how long the pain lingers. If the pain disappears very quickly (less than 3-5 seconds), then that is a good sign. However, if pain persists for more than 5-10 seconds, then I'd like you to try the warm/hot water test.

Get a glass of hot water (hot enough to drink but not burn you). Repeat the same test as detailed with the cold water. If by holding the water over the tooth, you feel no discomfort at all, then this is a good sign (for the time being) and my advice would be to give the tooth additional time to adapt to the filling.

However, if you begin to feel intense, pressure-like pain with the hot water, then that is a bad sign. It would indicate to me that there are gasses trapped underneath the filling, signifying presence of nerve damage and infection. And RCT will be needed.

So try the thermal test first. And if the symptoms indicate that you need RCT, then you won't have to wait any longer and can get it done tomorrow if you can get an appointment. If the thermal test doesn't yield any unfavorable results, then my recommendation would be to wait another 2-3 weeks. Hopefully the tooth will feel better by then. But should the symptoms persists, then RCT may still be needed.