Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

My top front tooth is super sore. When I bite and it contacts

My top front tooth is super sore. When I bite and it contacts the bottom tooth--ouch! It's happened before and then gone away. Now back with a vengeance. What gives?

Welcome to just answer.

Since when is ur upper tooth sore?

Is there any previous incident of fall or trauma?

Is your upper tooth mobile(any movement) ? or has caries?

Please answer the following queries as early as possible and i will try to get back to you soon!

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your response. I did not have an accident. I have experienced this pain a couple of times in the past couple of months and it has gone away. This is the most painful incident, really hurts when I bite down and sensitive to hot and cold. I think it may be from teeth grinding. I never have tooth decay and have regular check ups. It appears to be just one tooh.

Thank you for your response and patience.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Teeth grinding can cause Attrition,that is wearing off of the occusal surfaces of the tooth thereby causing tooth sensitivity, which is also called as dentinal hypersensitivity which is manifested as pain when exposed dentin comes in contact with hot/cold food or beverages.

This pain is sharp shooting pain m unbearable as times.

What I suggest you is to do the following:

1) Get your bite corrected.. As you said that when you bite your upper tooth comes in contact with your lower tooth suggests a deep bite which can be corrected by selective grinding.

2) Get your tooth revaluated again by getting an x-ray done and by electric pulp testing to rule out endodontic problems (pulp involvement)

3) If there is any minute chip or crack in the teeth ( may or may not be visible to naked eye) it can result in pain. Therefore get the tooth restored (by restoration- composites and get it covered by crown or veneers)

4) And lastly but most important- AVOID TEETH GRINDING..if you consciously clench your teeth, avoid it.. If it happens during night while you sleep, get a splint or mouth guard made.

As for now as you are in pain you can start with warm water salines. Do them 3-4 times a day. It will provide you relief.

You can also apply ora- jel (topical anasthetic with benzocaine) ..Massage it on the gums above your tooth surface 3-4 times a day before gargling.

I hope this helps!

If you are satisfied please don't forget to ACCEPT the answer. If you have any more questions, please feel free to respond to this question.

Good Luck!

Dr. Hans