Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
Experience:  19 years of clinical experience in all phases of Dentistry.
16885978

i have a smelly tooth, i had a root canal on my lower right

Customer Question

i have a smelly tooth, i had a root canal on my lower right tooth and the tooth smelled so the doctor did it again, it smelled years after and i went to another dentist they put a new crown on. now here i am again with a very foul smell, they said deep cleanig, i did that it still smells so my new dentist said theres gaps where food or bacteria get in and he is sending me to a periodontist where they can determine if its tooth decay,infection or a new crown with bonding on the gaps. what is going on.help
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Girish replied 5 years ago.
Hello slick,
thanks for posting your question on Just Answer

The reason for the foul odour may be
1)either related to the infected tooth
2)food stuck in between the tooth (where the bacteria ferment the food particles and produce sulfur like smell)

the smell from an infected tooth that needs a root canal is totally is different from the smell that is produced by food.

Tooth decay usually does not produce any smell,

I would suggest you to try this product
www.therabreath.com

this is now available at walmart but at a lower concentration than the link i have posted below

I would strongly recommend using this product, if it is problems with your gums this will surely take it away

http://www.therabreath.com/productdetail.asp?cat=1&pid=73

also remember that the smell in the mouth is related to the bacteria present in the mouth.
70 percent of those 750 million or so reside on your tongue so clean your tongue 2 or three times a day
and follow the instructions on therabreath

I am certain it will give you the much needed relief

Best wishes

Dr Girish

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i used a pharmacy mouth wash, prescription,so you are saying decay has no odor, then its an infection or food in tooth. does the cap need to be taken off and put on properly, with no gaps or how do i know its an infection
smell cannot be used as diagnostic characteristic of an infection.
the x ray and clinical exam and doctors diagnosis can determine an infection

Yes Decay has no Odor

If the cap has been recently put in there is a doubt that it is the problem
and caps are very difficult to remove and most cannot be removed. unless the dentist cuts them

the mouth wash i recommended is much much better than the pharmacy mouthwash
please follow the instructions on the website

Best Wishes

Dr Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
Experience: 19 years of clinical experience in all phases of Dentistry.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i told you in my first question, the crown was put on 1 1/2 years they took xrays and an exam. they said they dont know if it is an infection or what that is why he is sendung me to the periodontist.theren is a smell in my tooth and im very upset, what is it most likely and will the periodontist help me i cant walk around like this.
I understand your frustration,
smell is very individual thing, unless the doctor can smell it he wont be able to tell you,
It is not the cemented crown that is smelling I can tell you that much,
why dont u try the mouthwash and tooth paste I told you and get back to me in 2-3 days
I am available on just answer every day

Best Wishes

Dr Girish