How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Girish Your Own Question
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 788
Experience:  19 years of clinical experience in all phases of Dentistry.
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Dr. Girish is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have an infection in my gums what can i do to get rid of

Customer Question

i have an infection in my gums what can i do to get rid of some of the pain
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Girish replied 7 years ago.
Rondo This is Dr Girish taking your question on Just Answer from California

First of all it is important to determine
a) if you a have an infected tooth which is abcessed and causing a gum problem
b) your tooth is normal and you are just having a gum problem
c) you are having and infected tooth associated with a gum problem - that is combination of A and B

The treatment definately involves a visit to the dentist and an x ray or several x rays to Determine which is the particular scenario in your case.

However for symptomatic relief

1) you can take advil or tylenol to take care of the pain and swelling
2)use this product called Orajel which contains a 20% Benzocaine
it is a topical anesthetic used in dental offices - it is available over the counter in most stores like walmart etc

Hope this helps

Best Wishes

Dr Girish