Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

Partial root canal

In March I went to my dentist with sharp shooting pains in an upper molar. He did a root canal and everything is fine, however the one behind it was feeling the same way. He said to wait a month and see if it felt better. After a month I was still having hot/cold sensitivity, pain, and the tooth began to feel loose and move. When I went back for a follow up appt he said I would need a root canal on that tooth also. He told me to to come back for the root canal. I asked him if there was anything he could do NOW so he took out the nerve (partial root canal). The next time I go he is finishing. I now go back on June 11th. It's 2 1/2 months later. Taking the nerve out did help a lot but now I'm starting to feel pain again in that area and I don't go back for 1 1/2 weeks. Should I be worried that the infection could spread?   He said that it looked unhealthy in there but then only took out the nerve. I am very paranoid that the infection will spread to other parts of my body.
Dear ,

Although there is little risk of the infection spreading to remote parts of the body, there is the chance that your appointment will not be timely enough to avert an acute
toothache. I would recommend that you contact your dentist to inform him of the recent onset of symptoms. Based on his assessment of the particulars of your case, he may decide to either do nothing but follow you more closely, or phone in a prescription for antibiotic and/or pain medication to your pharmacy, or perhaps move your appointment up so that you can have the balance of the root canal performed sooner.

Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for calming my fears. I was worried that because the nerve is gone and it is still hurting, that there might be some major problem. I have tried calling the office already and he doesn't have any earlier appointments except for emergency and it's not that severe yet. I do have antibiotics from the last time I went....should I try that?