Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.

I have a tooth that is loose at the root. It has had a root

I have a tooth that is loose at the root. It has had a root canal and has a crown on it. Are there other alternatives to removing it and then replacing with an implant?
Thank you for your time.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Has a dentist told you why the root is loose? Is the root cracked? Is there periodontal bone loss?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have not had an xray taken yet and don't know if there is bone loss. Probably the xray would help with the ultimate answer. I was interested in knowing alternatives as I plan to visit a dentist in R.I. soon as I'm here for 5 weeks. My home city is Manhattan. I wanted to be prepared to question the R.I. dentist and know what potential options may be.

The crown is at least 8 years old. I am also on the post breast cancer drug Femara that I think may be contributing to this problem. I have dental cleanings every 2 months by a periodontist in NYC who noted that the tooth was slightly loose last week when I visited her. I can feel sensation (not pain) there now and ask this question as my husband and I are going on a European anniversary cruise the end of June and I don't want to have problems at that time.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your consultation. I have had several root canals and find them to be over the top for me in terms of discomfort and tolerance. Based on your comments, it would seem that having the tooth pulled and then inserting an implant after it heals is the lesser of two evils. Do you agree? Also, what can be done to fill in the space temporarily after the tooth is pulled and before the implant is inserted?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Dr. McKee,

Thank you so much for all your advice and help. I have placed a call to my periodontist for her opinion on whether I should go ahead and have the tooth pulled now.It's difficult for me to assess the status of the tooth for the short term. I may just go to NYC for the day to have it done, as I called the recommended RI dentist and I can't get an appointment until June 10th! Manhattan doctors and dentists are incredible when you have a problem that needs to be addressed ,and I now realize that I'd be able to have this resolved much sooner there if necessary.

Your input helped me think clearly , minimize costs, and most of all minimize discomfort as I have a very small mouth. The most direct root is the best!!! (pardon the pun)!!!

Thank you for your time and attention.

Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience: Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.