Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.
I have an area inside my cheek that would best be described as a rough patch of skin. Almost like when you burn your mouth with soup, but I don't remember burning myself. It isn't painful, doesn't bleed and is BARELY red. It is located directly next to my bottom teeth. Any suggestions on what this is? Should I be worried?
Welcome to JustAnswer!
The type of lesion you are describing is usually some kind of contact allergy, which is a reaction to an ingredient in something you put in your mouth. Medicated toothpastes and mouthwashes many times can cause these allergies, which manifest as a peeling away of the outermost layer of tissue, leaving a surface that is rough to the touch. These will heal in a few days and are nothing to worry about, but you should try to determine what it was that caused it and refrain from using that product or food again.
This is usually what these things are but there is no way to know for sure unless the area is looked at by a dentist. If there is any doubt, a biopsy can be taken to determine exactly what this is and the proper treatment can be administered.
It is circular and has been there for about a week. So is that normal in this situation? How long should I expect for it to be here in this situation? I was convinced it was cancer although I couldn't find anything picture that looked quite like what I have. I haven't changed toothpastes. What type of foods could it have been?
If it's an allergic reaction, then it should clear up in a few more days. I doubt it is a cancer if it isn't. It's practically impossible to diagnose these things through the internet. I can only tell you what statistically it most likely is or isn't. You should have your dentist look at it. The most common foods that cause allergic reactions are walnuts and strawberries. Specialized toothpastes that claim to brighten teeth or rebuild enamel have extra ingredients that can cause these things. In addition you can become allergic, over time and repeated exposure to something that you use every day. So this might be a reaction to something that you never were to before.