Julian Chen
Julian Chen, Dentist
Experience:  Practicing General Dentist since 2002

My daughter has a white seeminly puss-filled bump on her gums.

Customer Question

My daughter has a white seeminly puss-filled bump on her gums. What could this be and should we be worried? Its Sunday so I dont know what to do.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Julian Chen replied 7 years ago.

How old is your daughter?

From your description, it sounds as though your daughter may have a dental abscess that has developed into a fistula tract. It presents itself as a raised bump (sometimes resembling a large pimple) and is in fact filled with pus. When popped (whether deliberately or accidentally), the pus will ooze out as the pressure is released. And then the tissue will often heal over completely as if nothing happened and the swelling goes down. But because the dental infection has not been addressed and removed, the abscess returns and the fistula forms again with more pus.

If what I describes sounds like something that you're daughter is experiencing, then usually, this means one of the teeth in the area has become necrotic and infected. The tooth likely has had a large filling, possibly a crown, and possibly been treated via root canal treatment (or if your daughter is a child, then pulpotomy and stainless steel crown).

If it is a baby tooth, then the treatment would simply be to have the tooth pulled. If it is a permanent tooth, then root canal treatment may be necessary, or a retreatment (if RCT had been performed before), and lastly, extraction of the tooth may be needed if there has been extensive decay and the tooth is considered unrestorable. That or due to financial restrictions/limitations, an extraction is needed as it is the most cost-effective treatment at this time.