Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

my gum is swollen around by wisdom tooth on the right hand

my gum is swollen around by wisdom tooth on the right hand side. I had one of my wisdom teeth removed last year due to gum swelling which i was told was vincent's infection. It is very painful but i cannot make it to the dentist today can you suggest anything to minimise the pain.
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Dear ,

Every case is different, and some patients do ultimately need to take antibiotics if their immune system is unable to suppress the
infection or the strain of bacteria responsible for the infection is particularly virulent. However, most young and healthy patients can successfully prevail over these cases of "pericoronitis".

Self- treatment would include the use of oral pain medication, and frequent rinsing with hot salt water solution. For pain medication, an effective regime would be to alternately take 1000 milligrams of paracetamol every 3 hours with 400 milligrams of ibuprofen. Vigorous rinsing every 3 hours for 2 minutes with a solution of ½-teaspoon of salt in an 8-ounce glass of hot water will help with the pain, as well as assist in dissipating any accumulated pus. Obviously, if this regimen fails to control the swelling and pain, you will need to reconcile yourself to a trip to your dentist.

Although I understand your reluctance to extract the tooth, be advised that these episodes of wisdom tooth infection tend to be recurrent. It would be appropriate to re-think the option of extraction if you experience frequent and severe cases of pericoronitis, because extraction will avert what would be a more unpleasant experience when viewed in the aggregate pain and suffering of repeated infection.

Good luck!
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA