Dr Rao
Dr Rao, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  General Dentist , Private practice since past 6 years.........

How long should I keep my dentures in after I had the last 12 teeth I had pulled &

I had 4 teeth pulled on the top right by my nose area & 2 back molars & 5 pulled on the bottom center & 1 molar, my right eye is blacked & the lid is very red. I also have some throbbing on the top ones. I had a full denture put in on top & a partial on bottom. I only have 4 bottom teeth that are mine. My face is very swollen. Is this common when you have this type of work done? My dentist is on holiday for Easter & i can't reach anyone in his office till Mon.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr Rao replied 7 years ago.

It is very unfortunate that you are having this problem.

Pain and swelling is generally seen after a tooth extraction and it should get better in 3-4 days.

You can alternate between 1000mg tylenol and 400mg Ibuprofen every 4 hrs.This is very effective against dental pain.

However,since you have Diabetes,you are more susceptible to get an infection.Hence an antibiotic course would be required ,if you are already not taking.

You would require a prescription for an antibiotic.You can contact your dentist ,if he has given you an emergency number.

If you cannot contact your dentist ,then you can consider visiting your primary care doctor or the emergency room ,for an antibiotic prescription.

The dentures can be removed for a while ,if you are feeling uncomfortable.

Please let me know if you need anything................
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What should I rinse my mouth out with when I do remove my dentures?
Expert:  Dr Rao replied 7 years ago.

You can Use an antibacterial mouthwash to rinse your mouth.These are available at the pharmacy.

Alternatively,you can also use warm salt water to rinse your mouth.

Ice pack application would give you temporary pain relief..

Pain killers can be taken to reduce the pain .

You can visit your dentist for an examination ,on monday.You can also ask him if you need to take antibiotics.

The extraction wound would eventually heal.Since you are having Diabetes, healing could be delayed.

Please let me know if you have any doubts....................

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have had the dentures in since Mon.Is that enough time before taking them out? I don't want the sockets to get dry nor do I want more pain.
Expert:  Dr Rao replied 7 years ago.

Your dentist must have asked you not to remove the dentures ,so that the extraction sockets are not exposed to the oral cavity ,to prevent any infection.

However,if you are having discomfort because of the denture,you can remove them for some time.You donot have to wear them all the while.

Make sure that you maintain good oral hygiene.

Ideally dentures are removed at night ,before sleeping.

However,since you have just got some teeth removed,your dentist must have asked you not to remove it.The dentures would act as a physical barrier and would ,to an extent protect the extraction sockets.

In my opinion,it is not necessary to wear the dentures all the time.You can remove them for some time and wear them again later,if you are having discomfort.

The extraction sockets generally heal in 3-4 days.Since you are having Diabetes,wound healing would be delayed and it could take a longer period of time for the extraction sockets to heal.

Maintaining a good oral hygiene is necessary.

You can use a antibacterial mouthwash,

Warm salt water mouthrinses would be helpful,

It is also important to keep the dentures clean.

Your dentist would be able to tell you ,after an examination, if you are having a dry socket or any other complication.

There is also a possibility that the extraction sockets are getting infected.Hence an antibiotic course would be necessary ,in my opinion.