Julian Chen
Julian Chen, Dentist
Experience:  Practicing General Dentist since 2002
16439544

My 2 year old daughter fell and hit her mouth. She is bleeding

Customer Question

My 2 year old daughter fell and hit her mouth. She is bleeding from her the gums of her up two front teeth. This happened at about 10:00 p.m. tonight. I keep checking on her and outting vaseline on her gums and my finger will have a little bit of blood on it. I am sooo worried about her teeth. And I don't know what to do.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Julian Chen replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your daughter.

I don't want you to panic. If you haven't already, please take a look to see if she's missing any teeth at all. If all her front baby teeth seem to be present and accounted for, then chances are, no permanent damage has resulted from this fall. It may very well been just a cut lip.

Now, if you look at your daughter's front teeth, and if you see 1 or multiple teeth slightly out of alignment, then it is possible that the impact pushed some of her baby teeth into her jaw. Good news is because their bones are so soft, usually after a couple of weeks, the teeth will quickly re-erupt and/or drift back into their proper place. There is a slight possibility that the impact and intrusion of teeth may have damaged the nerve, but it is way too early to tell and there's not a whole lot we can do about it now.

Typically, we just wait to see if any of her teeth discolors and darken in the coming weeks. If they do, then there was nerve damage and a baby root canal (pulpotomy) will need to be done by your dentist or her pediatric dentist. Again, I don't want you to stress about it because if all her front teeth are present and accounted for (and none of them have been knocked out or jammed so far into the gums that they appear to be missing), then the chances of nerve damage is very slim.

The bleeding should've stopped by now and although you may still get a slight trickle, your daughter should not be bleeding profusely still. If she is still bleeding a lot, try your best to apply pressure to where you think the blood is coming from and, if need be, take her to the hospital.

By tomorrow morning, your daughter will likely have forgotten the incidence. Call and schedule an appointment with her dentist for an exam early next week and all should be well.

*IF* the impact from the fall resulted in the loss of one or some of her front teeth, quickly put the tooth in a cup of milk and call your dentist. The sooner we can get that tooth re-implanted, the better her chances are from recovering from the trauma.

I hope I was able to address your concerns. I didn't focus more on tooth loss since you didn't indicate it as one of your concerns so I assume that all her teeth are present and accounted for.

Regards,

JulXXXXX XXXXX, DDS
Julian Chen, Dentist
Experience: Practicing General Dentist since 2002
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All of her teeth do appear to be present. And she is not bleeding profusely. Should I contune to put the vaseline on her gums? Is there anything that I can do to help them tighten back up? They are just a littel bit loose. Or are there things that I shouldn't do that could make it worse?
HiCustomer

From the looks of it, your daughter should be fine. You don't need to put more vaseline on her gums. Her saliva should be more than sufficient to keep the area moist. There's nothing that we can do, nor need to do to stabilize her teeth at this time other than keep her on a soft diet for about a week. Her body will heal and her teeth will tighten up again on their own. Just do your best to keep a close eye on her so that she doesn't re-injure the area with another fall.

Definitely do not wiggle her tooth, nor should you check on the mobility of her teeth any time soon. If you are curious, you can test them out again after 4 weeks, by that time, she should be back to normal (which means her baby teeth will only be very slightly mobile, but will wiggle nonetheless).

You'll daughter will feel much, much better by tomorrow. So don't panic. From what you've described, it would appear nothing serious had occurred and no permanent damage is expected. If the impact did result in some form of nerve damage that she could not recover from, you'll then be able to see some darkening/discoloration of her teeth in the next 3-6 months. If nothing happens after 6 months (no discoloration), then the nerves weren't damaged.

Regards,

JulXXXXX XXXXX, DDS