Dr. John
Dr. John, Dentist
Experience:  BDS (Hons) PhD

dentist has just told me there is a shadow on a dental x ray

dentist has just told me there is a shadow on a dental x ray above a right pre molar and he does not know what it is? Is it likely to be something serious?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for your question and for choosing justanswer.com

NO. It is not likely to be something serious.

"Shadows" at the top (apex) of a tooth's root is almost invariably an abscess. Ocasionally it may be a cyst.

What has your dentist recommended?

Dr. John BDS PhD

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The dentist has recommended sending the x ray to a consultant. This is what worried me as he seemed unable to read the x ray himself and diagnose what the shadow might be, leading me to suppose that it might be an oral cancer. He was rather uncommunicative and not very reassuring.This is a new dental practice for me as my previous dental surgeon retired. I have never smoked and do not drink and have had no dental problems in the past.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.

Thank youCustomer

I can only repeat my previous answer, this is nothing to concern yourself with.

At worse, this is a cyst that may need removal. It will not be cancer. Cancer does not present like this.

Please stop worrying about this, it is a routine dental problem.

* If you found my answer helpful, please press the "ACCEPT" button.

* Positive feedback is always appreciated.

* If for any reason you have a further question related to this answer, please contact me.

Good luck and my very best wishes,

Dr. John BDS PhD

Dr. John, Dentist
Experience: BDS (Hons) PhD