Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

My lower jaw bone hurts when I touch it and is tender. Help!

The bottom of my jaw hurts and is tender to the touch. It hurts when I touch it in a certain way. It is on right lower side near the point toward my ear.
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 7 years ago.

Dear Customer,

If I understand you correctly, there is tenderness at the angle of the lower jaw. This area contains the parotid salivary gland, as well as a group of lymph nodes. Either can become inflamed or infected, but of the two, the more likely suspect is an inflamed lymph node.

Lymph nodes typically become inflamed because of an inflamed area of tissue that drains into the node. The nodes under the ear serve the external ear, parts of the side of the scalp, and the parotid gland. Lymphadenitis (lymph node inflammation) in this area most commonly is due to a minor inflammation in the skin or scalp (dermatitis, pustular acne), or something minor of that nature. It can also be due to a viral condition, such as the flu or the common cold. The lymph nodes in the area you describe do not serve the inside of the mouth, so it is probably unrelated to any dental condition.

Most of these inflamed nodes resolve on their own. If yours doesn't, or if the pain continues to worsen, you should consult with your medical doctor.

Hope this helps...