Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I recently had a bump erupt in my gum (inside of teeth area)

I recently had a bump erupt in my gum (inside of teeth area) near my back molar. About 18 years ago, my wisdom teeth were removed. I went to my local dentist who told me that he believes this to be a piece of bone broken off from my jaw and it is working its way out. He hit it with a laser to deaden the pain somewhat, but I still have fullness in my ear and feel pressure swallowing on that side of my face. It is very annoying. That bony bump hurts at the site, although not as much as last week. I am concerned as this thing works out (and I don't know that it will), that I will develop an infection at the site. Many years ago I was diagnosed with a mild mitral valve prolapse (congenital), and I do pre medicate with antibiotics before I go to the dentist. This thing still bothers me a lot and I am wondering if an oral surgeon would be able to go and take it out or something like that. My dentist told me there is no treatment for this condition and there is nothing more that he can do. I wanted to get a second opinion however, due to my concern of infection. Perhaps he believes that oral surgery or going after the source of this would be a greater risk of infection. I don't know if it is a broken off piece of bone or whether it is still connected in some way--I understand the bone here in the jaw is somewhat platelike. Any opinions would be welcome. Thanks

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

The lower jaw consists of two plates of bone, (that we call compact/cortical bone), with a spongy layer of bone (what we cancellous bone)sandwiched between them.

The possibilities of what the growth could be are:

- it is a fragment of the root of the wisdom tooth, which is trying to "work its way out".

- it could be a benign bony growth, totally unrelated to the wisdom tooth.

If it is the former, an oral surgeon should have very little difficult in removing it.

If , on the other hand, it is an unrelated growth, part of it will be sent for histopathological examination.

I suggest you do get it removed, with proper consultation with the oral surgeon for antibiotic prophylaxis (if required in your case).

Do not delay this any further. I have my doubts as to the usefulness of laser n this case.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks Dr. I can see like a couple of small white dots on the gum that I am supposing are the bony projections. I sure feels like bone to me (very hard); that is trying to get through the gum. I believe that I am going to make an appointment with an oral surgeon and see what he says. I hope that it is something benign or an old root--although that is my underlying worry that it is something else.

About a week before this happened, I had the dentist that I went to repair a molar on the other side of my mouth that had been badly chipped. After that procedure was when I had the pain from opposite side of my mouth and the bump back there. I thought that maybe when they did the crown/repair on the other side of my mouth, they hurt that side of my gum. I recall they put something hard in my mouth to keep my tongue over to one side, and I worried that the technician assisting the dentist had held something a little too hard against the gum. To be honest, I don't recall whether I had a bump there or not. I do know that it didn't hurt there before the procedure however, and I did not have the pressure in my ear or the pressure swallowing on the side either. I had pain in the side of my tongue a lot but that has subsided thankfully, now it's more of a itchiness/pressure in the ear and the left side of my throat pressure.

Thanks for responding with the additional information.

Yes, it is very much possible, that a mouth-prop (a device to keep the mouth opening and ease the tension on the muscles) was placed during the procedure on the other side of your mouth. This may have caused discomfort.

But it would be very difficult to explain , how it could have caused the "bony hard" swelling.

The white dots can be explained though. They are small traumatic ulcers.

The options I have outlined in my previous email still stand. The fact that you have ear/throat symptoms are a sign of infection, either pertaining to the bony swelling, or an unrelated infection afecting the ears and throat.

Do not worry, it is very unlikely that it is something sinister. But make that appointment right away, to ease your discomfort, more than anything else.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.