Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.

My 5 year old daughter has what looks like a large blister

My 5 year old daughter has what looks like a large blister on her upper gum above her left front tooth, it is pretty large goig from that little piece of webbed skin that is attached from the gum to the lip. The blister is the same color as the gum, and she said she didn't notice it until just now and that it doesn't hurt, I'm not sure that anything happened, like an accident of any kind, not even a bump against something to that area...I had her rinse with warm salty water and nothing has happened. This makes me very nervous, should I leave and take her to the emergency room even at midnight????????

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Relax, there is no reason to panic and rush to the ER. However, that tooth does need fairly quick dental treatment. If the tooth does not have decay, the only reason for the blister is a abscess which has occurred due to past trauma to the tooth. The abscess is trying to break out through the gums.

The second and less likely possibility that it is not tooth related at all, and is a viral infection.

In any case, seek a dental appointment at the earliest.

For now, try to get your daughter to rinse frequently with hot salt water. Prepare this by dissolving ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water. Do not make it too hot, or her mouth wont be able to tolerate it.The heat from this water will soften the tissue that forms the wall of the blister, and promote the chances of drainage. If successful, it can cause the abcess to burst, greatly relieving her discomfort.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish her a speedy recovery !!!

Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.