Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting
11105469

I have a temporary crown which has just broken off with part

I have a temporary crown which has just broken off with part of the tooth. I also have a follow up appointment on Tuesday to fit the permanent crown. My tooth area is now exposed and I am concerned that I could get some kind of infection or pain before the appointment. I was told if the crown cameo ff that I should call my dentist and they would see me that day. However, it is Saturday night. Is this an emergency or should I just wait until Monday and call and if so, how do care for my mouth in the meantime?
Good question.

This is a common occurance, and you should not worry about it over the weekend. You can wait until Monday, but I would definitely call Monday morning to see if they can recement the temporary that day. If the tooth broke off inside the temp, then this is a problem that you will need to have evaluated on Monday. The permanent crown will not fit correctly if the tooth is broken, and the dentist will need to repair your tooth and make a new impression for a new crown if this is the case. In the meantime, you will not get an infection in your tooth if it is exposed for only a few days until you see your dentist. Just be sure you keep it as clean as possible. This may be tender, but if you can manage to brush it, then do. But do not worry about infection, the tooth will be OK exposed for a few days.