Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

reoccuring white patch on tongue

A long time ago I had thrush after taking antibiotics which makes me question whether or not this is thrush. Whithin the past 3 weeks I have had a semi-sore white patch on the middle back of my tongue. Just last Thursday I went to the dental hygeinist for a teeth cleaning and the white patch came up on Saturday. I go to a free clinic where dental hygienist students clean teeth. So, I actually went a couple weeks before and they did half of my mouth 3 weeks ago and thyen finished last thursday. The first time I went I also got a white patch in the same spot just a day after going. When I went back for the second appointment, it had already gone away. I asked the student and the teacher what it could have been and they didn't know. They checked for thrush but they told me that there was no white in my mouth at all. I try to brush it but it doesn't go away. The first time I got it it went away in less than a week. After sleeping it looks better in the morning. I am confused!
Dear ,

Your white patch may be many things, but one thing it is not is thrush. Typically, thrush (an
infection caused by the yeast candida albicans), presents as a whitish plaque on oral soft tissue surfacess that is easily removed, leaving a raw, inflamed, and sometimes bleeding surface. The fact that you cannot brush off the white coating virtually assures that you're NOT dealing with thrush.

That leaves a wide variety of other things that it may be-- from mucous membrane disorders such as lichen planus, lichenoid reaction, benign migratory glossitis, and pemphigoid, to hyperkeratosis due to a chronic irritant, to even a pre-malignant or malignant dysplastic process.

Any white or red plaque in the mouth that persists more than two weeks merits a professional diagnosis, and that is what I would recommend for you. You should consult with your dentist, who may choose to refer you to an oral surgeon for a more formal diagnostic process.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I appreciate your reply. when I do get it it goes away in about 5 days. So, if this goes away within 2 weeks you don't think that I need to go to the dentist?