Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
7707004

Can I take cipro for a gum infection

Customer Question

Can I take cipro for a gum infection?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 7 years ago.

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Cipro is one of the antibiotics that we usually prescribe for a dental related infection. Keep in mind, that although it will reduce the pain and swelling of the infection, that it will not cure the source of the problem. Antibiotics treat the symptoms of a problem, The source of the problem, deep seated tartar build up and bacteria lodged deep into a gum pocket, need to be removed in order for the infection to go away. You will need to see you dentist for this. Otherwise, the infection will return as soon as you stop taking the antibiotics.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX DDS