Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.

What is normal pain after a root canal

I had a root canal done on a back bottom tooth last Monday and a root canal done on a back top tooth last Thursday. I am still in pain/discomfort, with the bottom tooth throbbing and achey and the top tooth sensitive to cold and achey. I can control the pain with 600mg Advil every 5 hours. The cold sensitivity didn't really manifest until this past Sunday. My fear is there is another tooth involved. I was in severe pain for 2 weeks while trying to pinpoint which teeth were causing the pain. Is unbearable pain for a prolonged period before root canals indicative of prolonged healing period? I also have tightness and soreness in the jaw.
I see my dentist every 6 months. Brush and floss twice a day, but a top tooth broke and sent me to the dentist 2 months after a regular visit. I was told the broken tooth only needed a crown. Now I fear it needs a root canal too.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

To answer your first query, a prolonged period before root canals is NOT indicative of a prolonged healing period.

Regardless of the degree of pain, a root canal should take away all the sensation from that tooth.

Secondly, your fears may be true. The broken tooth may have now reached the stage where a root canal is what is needed.

However, pain after root canals is not uncommon, and can occur due to any or a combination of the following reasons:

1. Over instrumentation during the root canal cleaning procedure (going beyond the root canals)

2. Forceful irrigation ( injecting the irrigant solution which pushes it past the root canals)

3. Contact of opposing tooth on the tooth being treated between appointments (ideally there should be no contact even on biting until the crown is placed)

4. Inadequate instrumentation (some amount of pulp tissue is still left,which when touched causes pain)

5. An entire root canal missed (not picked up on an X ray),and thus not cleaned

6. A broken instrument being left inside the root canal

I suggest you return to your dentist without further delay and ascertain the cause of the pain.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.