Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.

How complicated is it to remove a permanent crown and what is the risk to the tooth

I had a permanent crown yesterday...it was permanently cemented and does not fit right and does not look right. It is wide to the side and short in the back, and has no real anatomy to make it look like a tooth. The dentist got frustrated, handed me a check and told me to find someone else to re-do it. What will it take to have this one removed and have a new crown made? What is the risk to my real tooth underneath? I did NOT have a root canal on this. Thank you
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 5 years ago.

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

I am sorry that you have to have your crown re-made, but under the circumstances, you are better off having another dentist re-make it for you.

Your existing crown will have to be cut off. If carefully done, no damage to your live tooth underneath will occur. Basically, we take out drill and cut a groove in the crown, very slowly. Once we see the cement layer under the crown we stop. We extend this groove up, over and down the far side of the crown, essentially separating it in two halves. Then we just tease the two halves apart, clean off the cement layer and take a new impression for a new crown. A temporary crown is made, and at your follow up appointment approximately two weeks later, your new crown is cemented.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any concerns regarding this issue that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.

Sincerely,

George McKee DDS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. You are very helpful. Can you help me understand if I need novacaine to do this, or can then drill/cut the crown off without it? About 2 months ago, you helped me with a question on this very same tooth..where I had novacaine and they hit my face muscle and I had trouble with that. Now I am aftaid to have novacaine. Also, what happens if they do damage my real tooth while taking the crown off. I never was afraid of dentists, but after this tooth experience, I am very afraid. Thanks