Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.

my permanent crown fell out a long time ago (probably over

my permanent crown fell out a long time ago (probably over a year ago), I didn't have the money to fix it at the time, it never bothered me not having it. But just recently it has been hurting a little as part of the tooth is falling out. Is it a big deal if I just let the rest of the tooth fall out naturally?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 7 years ago.

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Well, if you could guarantee that your tooth would just eventually fall out, then there would be no serious consequence of waiting for that to happen. However, what is really happening is that your tooth is decaying slowly and growing closer to the nerve of the tooth. Having had a crown, your tooth was shaved back on all 4 sides to accommodate the size of the crown, thereby exposing the inner layer of tooth structure (the dentin). Now that your crown has been off for all this time, areas on the dentin layer have begun to decay, causing parts of it to chip and flake off. The pain you are starting to experience will get worse as the nerve f the tooth is slowly invaded by the decay, until you have a full fledged toothache. Chances are this tooth is now beyond repair and you should make an appointment now to have a dentist evaluate the situation and have it removed now (if needed), while it is still a relatively easy procedure, rather than waiting until you are in too much pain and discomfort, and the extraction becomes more difficult.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had a root canal before I got the crown, so I thought that the nerve was cut?