Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting
11105469

I have a small white bump on my upper gum line in the front.

I have a small white bump on my upper gum line in the front. It is painless, flesh colored all around and white in the middle. Almost looks like a tooth coming in. It does not hurt, it is hard and does not move when touched.it is where I assume my tooth root is. Could this be another tooth? or the roots of a tooth? I am 27 years old with no history of dental problems...
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 7 years ago.
Good question.

This could be your root. The bone around front teeth is very thin and if your gums receed, sometimes you can see the root of the tooth. This is something that you need to see a periodontist for to be treated. It is not good to leave it alone. You probably will not notice pain with this condition.

This could also be a fistula. This is when a tooth is infected and the abcess drains from the gums above a tooth. This is a result of trauma to the tooth, either from decay, or from injuring the tooth in an accident of some sort. You normally have discomfort with the tooth, but not always. The treatment here is a root canal.

One final thing this could be is a mucocele. This is a clogged salivary duct that resolves on its own after 1-2 weeks. It is not painful and has the same description as you mentioned. There is no treatment for this. If it lasts more than 2 weeks, I recommend you see a dentist for a possible removal of the mucocele.

I hope this helps.