Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting
11105469

Im having tooth pain upper and lower on left side where I

I'm having tooth pain upper and lower on left side where I have crowns and bridges. Does this mean I need a root canal becuase of inflamation - or have my teeth shifted enough to cause severe irritation after a recent wisdom tooth extraction? One lower molar was identified for a root canal but now the pain is sever on one anchor crown of the bridge above it...
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 7 years ago.
Do you grind your teeth at night?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I have for a long time, and I have a night guard. I know that' part of it but now even the night guard can cause pain on some nights. jIt's from more than just teeth grinding.I think this is chronic inflamation, but I'm not sure I trust the root canal diagnosis because the pain moves around and there is no abcessing. I've been dealing with this for over 2 months. It started after the extraction of the wisdom tooth on the other side/upper.
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 7 years ago.
Most likely is does not have to do with the extraction of the wisdom tooth. You normally do not see this kind of pain after a wisdom tooth extraction, not from teeth shifting. Your likely cause of pain is from one of the crowns or bridge anchor teeth. It is not uncommon to get inflammation in these teeth that can become chronic and lead to an infection. The fact that cold water makes the tooth feel better is also a sign of inflammation that most likely requires a root canal for treatment. An x ray is the best way to diagnose whether it has reached an infection stage or not. Whether it has, or not, you will likely still need a root canal. If it is infected, you will need antibiotics as well. The fact that the pain is moving around is common as well. This is called 'referred pain' and is common with teeth that are chronically infected. The source of the pain is most likely coming from one tooth, and referring to others. This can happen from lower teeth to upper teeth. If you had a diagnosis of needing a lower tooth root canal, I would start there for treatment b/c your pain on the upper will likely disappear after the root canal due to referred pain. I know it sounds strange, but this is how teeth work.