Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

The roof of my mouth is raw and when I rub it with my tongue,

The roof of my mouth is raw and when I rub it with my tongue, it feels as if there are blisters. I've tried to look but my eye sight isn't good enough to see. What could this be and should I see a doctor or just wait it out?

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

The most common injury on the roof of your mouth (palate) is a thermal burn. This happens when something very hot ( most commonly a pizza slice) or very cold touches the mucous membrane of the palate, causing loss of surface epithelium and resulting in a raw area.

This feels different when touched by the tongue and it is not really painful.

Most probably this is what has happened to you. Other than this, there are several possibilites that can cause blister formation on the palate, but none of them are really serious.

Since you noticed it just two days ago, I suggest you wait for 5 more days before visitng a dentist.

Do not take any mouthwash, as it may irritate the raw area of the mucosa. Avoid food of extreme temperatures.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.