Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
7707004

I have a severe toothache, i have the antibiotic Levaquinn

I have a severe toothache, i have the antibiotic Levaquinn lying around. Will this help? Also does putting a raw onion on the tooth really help, if not, what home remedy do you recomend
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 5 years ago.

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

From the website:

http://antibiotics.emedtv.com/levaquin/what-is-levaquin-used-for.html

"Levaquin is a "broad spectrum" antibiotic, which means it is effective against a wide variety of different types of bacteria. It is often used to treat an infection while tests are being done to see which antibiotics are effective for treating a specific infection. If the results of such tests show that an antibiotic with a narrower spectrum of activity will be effective, your healthcare provider may choose to switch you to such an antibiotic. Doing so may help limit antibacterial resistance, since overuse of broad spectrum antibiotics may increase the risk of developing bacteria that are resistant to medications."

This means that it might work, but is not as specific as the traditional antibiotics we normally prescribe for tooth infections, which are Amoxicillin or Clindamycin.

However, a toothache is not necessarily a sign that you have an infection. In the absence of swelling or an elevated temperature, you may not have one.

However, to answer your question about what to do at home before you can see your dentist.

1. A raw onion will do nothing to help your toothache.

2. A very good way to control dental pain using over the counter medications is to switch between taking 400 milligrams of ibuprofen (e.g., 2 tablets of Advil), and 1000 milligrams of acetaminophen (e.g., 2 tablets of extra-strength Tylenol) every 3 hours. Be careful not to use these medications if you have had previous adverse reactions to either, or if you have had gastritis or peptic ulcer disease in the past, or if you have liver disease. Anything stronger and you will need a prescription which will necessitate you talking to your dentist, physician or a visit to the ER.

3. In addition, you can try "Toothache Drops" available at your pharmacy. This is clove oil (eugenol) which is very soothing to an exposed tooth. Place a drop or two on a cotton pellet and place on the tooth or on the hole of the tooth.

4. In some instances, rinsing the tooth with cold or hot water will bring immediate but short lived relief.

Any home treatment will just be treating the symptoms and will only work as long as you apply the treatments. To be rid of your toothache permanently, you will have to see your dentist and have the tooth treated.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX DDS

Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience: Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.