Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting

i have a blood blister inside my mouth on the roof of my mouth.

Customer Question

i have a blood blister inside my mouth on the roof of my mouth. it popped out of nowhere does not hurt but is there and is bright red. shaped like a kidney. did not eat anything hot or spicy or too cold.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 7 years ago.
Good question.

The condition that it sounds like is called Localized Oral Purpura.
Blood blisters in the mouth are not uncommon in elderly people, yet the cause of such lesions is unclear. No bleeding tendency appears to underlie this condition. Corticosteroid inhalers may sometimes predispose someone to this. Blood blisters are seen in the mouth or pharynx, but mainly on the soft palate and occasionally on the lateral border of the tongue in elderly people. There is rapid onset, with breakdown of the blood blister in a day or two to a large round ulcer.

To be 100% certain about this diagnosis, you would need to visit an oral surgeon who would perform a biopsy.

There is no specific treatment for your condition. The blisters should be carefully burst. Topical analgesics may provide symptomatic relief if you have any discomfort.

The following are some potential causes of purpura.

1. Trauma and suction
2. Platelet disorders:
    * Autoimmune thrombocytopenia
    * Bone marrow disorders: aplasia, leukaemia
3. Infections
    * Infectious mononucleosis
    * Rubella
    * HIV infection
4. Vascular disorders

If this helps, please ACCEPT my answer.
BONUSES are never expected, but always appreciated.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
wrong answer didnt hear from you went to the Clinic. It was due to an abscess. answer was wrong. i do not choose to accept this answer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ps the site didnt work properly I sent several emails to the site and rec'd an email stating the question didnt go through properly that is why i went to the clinic. see below.

There was an error with your transaction. Here's the error that was given by our credit card processor:

Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry you had trouble with the site. There is only so much I can know and evaluate over a forum. I gave you the most logical and best answer based on your provided information, and was just trying to help. Thank you anyway, and I hope you heal quickly!