Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
7707004

My crown broke in half and my dentist says he only guarantees

My crown broke in half and my dentist say's he only guarantees crowns for 1 year. I had the crown put on in Feb. 2006?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 5 years ago.

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

The first thing you and your dentist must discover is why your crown broke in the first place. Regardless of the arbitrary time of the guarantee, crowns should last many many more years than this. Unless you have an unusually strong bite and/or a grinding habit, most likely the problem is in the design of the crown. Your dentist should at least pro-rate the life you got out of the crown over, say, 20 years and make you a new one at the discounted fee. But it is very important to find out why so the same problem is not repeated. If you and your dentist can not come to a mutually agreeable decision, you are free to contact your dental society and ask for a peer review hearing. This is a committee that meets to sort out complaints patients have with their dentists. The panel of dentists is very fair and usually rule in favor of the patients. As a requirement of his membership in the dental association, your dentist must abide by the decision of the committee. You can get the contact details of your dental society by following this link:

http://www.ada.org/ada/organizations/local.asp

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX DDS

Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience: Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

For some reason this doctor does not even want to see me today. He had his assistant call me twice to let me know he would not cover any fees. At first he said he would only guarantee the crown for 1 year. The next phone call from his assistant said that if I was an existing patient he would cover the crown, but since I have not been back to him in 1 year and 10 months he will not cover any portion of the crown.

He has not looked at me since I lost my porcelain crown. I insisted that he at least look at me and explain his reasoning for not covering a broken crown that has only lasted since Feb. 06. When I meet with him today if he will not give my any discount or any pro-rated amount which you suggested should he at least provide me with a temporary crown? I will then contact another dentist to put on another crown. I have been quoted $1350 for a new crown. I can not afford a new crown every 2 years. This does not seem fair. Thank you for your help. You were able to answer a few of my questions and I will use this information when I meet with my dentist today. Stacy

Dear Stacy,

The "rule" that he would cover the crown if you had been a regular patient is meaningless and would not hold up in a court of law, if it ever gets to that stage. The fact is his dental work and his dental laboratory doesn't "know" if you are a regular patient or not. Ask him if this means that if you had been a regular patient of his he would have made a better crown for you. His work speaks for itself and your being a regular patient or not has nothing to so with the fact that the crown lasted just over 2 years. Hopefully he will put a temporary crown on the tooth and then before you go have another dentist make you a new one, go through the peer review process as the committee may force your existing dentist to pay for the new one. I have a feeling your dentist is not completely grounded in his adamant policy of not guaranteeing your crown since he delegated the uncomfortable task of informing you about it through his assistant - twice. Once you are face to face with him, he may back down if you bring up the points I have mentioned to you. I hope this helps.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX DDS

Dr. George McKee, Dentist