Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
7707004

I have swelling next to and under my ear. I noticed my jaw

I have swelling next to and under my ear. I noticed my jaw muscles are swollen too when I open my mouth wide. When I push on the swollen areas I feel pain and tingling down and under my jaw. What could this be? My glands seem to be swollen as well.

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

You most likely have an abscessed upper back tooth. The dead nerve in this tooth has decomposed to the point that the tissue breakdown products have exited the root tip (which is in close proximity to the area in front of the ear), and initiated an infection. You initially need to get on some antibiotics which requires a prescription. Call your dentist and see if he can see you this afternoon in order to assess the situation and get you at least on some medication to start reducing the swelling. Hopefully he can treat the tooth today as well.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX DDS