Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
7707004

If my bite is off what symptoms might I expect

Customer Question

If my bite is off what symptoms might I expect?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

How long has your bite been off and what caused it to be off?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The new crown was put on in late May of this year. The bite was adjusted once...but I don't think the issue is resolved. I moved from Pennsylvania to South Carolina in early June, so I have not yet found a new dentist here. I have a call in to a dentist here...and an appointment with the dentist in PA (because I am going up there for a visit)...

BUT, I need to discover if this is a plausable reason for the digestive issues I am having?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Do you still need more info? My bite has been off for close to 5 months.

I believe a new crown caused the issue. I had it adjusted before I moved to SC from PA...but think it's still off!

Dear ,

Thanks for the additional information. Your crown is still not right if you continue to have TMJ type symptoms. I am assuming that you did not have these prior to the crown being made. You should have your dentist replace it for you when you see him again. It is possible that another adjustment could eliminate your TMJ symptoms but if too much of the crown is ground away to the point that the restoration is weakened, then the crown should be remade at no cost to you.

Your digestive problems, however, are not related to your bite. There is no correlation between the two in any of the literature I have ever come across.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX DDS

Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience: Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had always heard that if someone's bite was off that food might not be properly chewed. IF that were the case that it could cause serious digestive issues...I guess that I have not been well informed.