Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.

What do you do if a baby tooth is knocked loose. Pull it out

What do you do if a baby tooth is knocked loose. Pull it out or push it back in?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

How long ago was the tooth knocked loose? How old is the child? Which tooth was knocked loose?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Front upper left incisor. Child is 2 years. It was knocked loose 1 hour ago.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Should it be pulled out of left in place?

Dear ,

I am so sorry for getting back to you so late. We just recovered from a power outage in out building from a lightening storm and I am just back online.

Try to position the loose tooth back in position if it is visibly out of alignment. If it stays in place, good. If not, leave it where is wants to settle. After this, see if your child can put all his/her teeth together when biting without the loose tooth interfering. If the loose tooth gets in the way of the bite, you will have to visit the dentist and most likely have it removed. If the tooth does not interfere with the bite, leave it alone for several days and allow the gum to tighten back around the tooth. Children have a great capacity to heal from these type of things. If down the road, after the tooth reattaches, it becomes dark or painful, or you notice a pimple like lesion on the gum above the tooth, you will have to go tot he dentist and have the tooth treated. Chances are, however, this tooth will tighten back up without any complications. You will probably have to give your child some anti-inflammatory medication for the first hour or two to reduce the initial pain from the trauma.

. I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any concerns regarding this issue that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.

George McKee DDS