Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

Im having pain on my left side of my face (like toothache

Customer Question

I'm having pain on my left side of my face (like toothache pain) when I lay down to sleep in 5-30min. I wake up in severe PAIN from the top of my head to chin on my left side only. After I stand up 15-30min the pain subsides or goes away. I have a cpap and thought my teeth with 2 crowns were sensative because of air but without cpap the symptoms happen over and over. I drive a truck and can't get any sleep (1hr at the most) before I wake up in pain. I complained to my dentist and the x-rays are ok. Before I could sleep after taking ibuprofen the pain in my jaw would go away. now it doesn't help much. only standing up or sitting up does the pain subsides. The pain is from my temple on left side of face to the middle of my chin. A throbbing very tender in my temple and upper and lower jaw. Please help me I am in severe pain. I know if I lay down it's going to hurt when I wake up in pain and I exhausted lack of sleep.
Category: Dental
Expert:  DR.AMIT replied 8 years ago.
Do you have Episodes of severe, shooting or jabbing pain that may feel like an electric shock?

Are these Bouts of pain lasting from a few seconds to several seconds?

IS Pain affecting one side of your face at a time?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No the pain doesn't feel like electic shock. The pain is like severe toothache throbbing pain in my upper cheek jaw and lower jaw on left side of my face only. my temple throbs too. I don't even lay on left side and the pain accurses( I've been laying on my right side). My left side of face becomes very sore to touch. I gentley rub the side of my face until the pain goes away. The bouts last for 5-30min. the time varies depending on how long I laid there a sleep. If I sleep for an 1hr it takes 30min for pain to go away. If I lay down awake until I feel the pain coming on it will last for 5-10min once I stand up and walk around. The pain only affects my left sideof my face and the top of my head. when i wake up after an hour the pain is so severe I'm crying badly and rolling around on the bed. my husband me stand up to hold me until the pain goes away. After the pain subsides I lay back down and the pain will start all over again. Help me I"m very exhausted from lack of sleep. The only time I can sleep peacefully is when I sit up in our drivers chair.(I'm a truck driver)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dr AM MD I sent back a reply to your questions. what do I do next so I can get a reply back with answer to my problem please!
Expert:  DR.AMIT replied 8 years ago.
Sorry i need to opt out other experts online on this site will help you for sure.

Thanks
Expert:  Dr Rao replied 8 years ago.

hi,

I am sorry to hear about your pain and discomfort...

You mentioned that you have got caps on 2 teeth and you think that this pain could be related to those teeth.

Do you have any sensitivity while taking anything Hot or Cold with any of these teeth?

Are these teeth painful while touching them?

Is there any pain while biting?

are you having any systemic diseases or disorders?

How is your general health?

Are you taking any medications for any other systemic problems?

Since when are having this pain?

When were the caps or crowns prepared?

I would be able to understand your situation better if you could provide us with some more information about your present condition....

Thank you