Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

Please help, I have an exposed tooth root, from a receding

Customer Question

Please help, I have an exposed tooth root, from a receding gum line and it is extremely painful. Please tell me if I can cure it and how, I have not taken good care of my teeth, brush, floss, etc., but if it will cure this, I will brush with a sonicare, waterpick, whatever it takes, will peroxide help, thanks so much Vicki
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

You can try a special tooth paste called sensitivity toothpaste like Sensodyne or Duraphat. They are available at a pharmacy and do not require a prescription. Use it daily with warm ( not hot ) water to brush your teeth. The components of these pastes will physically block the small holes in the surface of your teeth. This will decrease the sensitivity.

You might be experiencing pain when you breathe through your mouth. To reduce this, you can cover your tooth with Vaseline petroleum jelly. This creates an insulating blanket on the tooth, sealing it off from its surroundings.

But Im afraid home remedies may not be enough to stop the sensitivity of an exposed tooth root.

I would advise you to got to a dentist. If the exposed root area is very small, a small tooth colored filling may to the trick !

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I forgot to mention that the tooth is covered with a cap, actually a 9 tooth bridge, this has come up before and gone away by itself, which I am hoping for, but this time it is a full blown toothache. Will the gum ever cover the root again, any way to do that, the products you recommended will not help this, the tooth paste that is, and no, it is not when I breathe through my mouth, it is constant pain. Thanks, Vicki

Thanks for the additional information.

Maybe this time due to repeated episodes, the tooth truly needs a root canal, and no temporary method will suffice.

Unfortunately there is no home remedy that will help the gums grow back to their original place.

If the current medications you are taking are not controlling the pain, then I suggest you switch to Ketorolac, which is a stronger analgesic, which would bring about adequate pain relief.

You can learn more about Ketorolac at

http://www.rx-market.net/med/ketorol.html

And see a dentist ASAP !

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.