Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.

My son has an extra tooth growing out of the roof of his mouth.

My son has an extra tooth growing out of the roof of his mouth. The dentist were hoping it didn't grow down and break through the gum, but it is starting to. How intense is the removal procedure? Does he need to go to an oral surgeon? He is only 14, so what type of agent will they use so he can withstand the procedure? What is a realistic range of fees for such a procedure?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

The removal procedure is called an disimpaction, which is different from a routine extraction. An incision will be taken, the tissues will be reflected to reveal the bone and this bone will be drilled away to enable removal of the tooth embedded inside it.

Yes, for this procedure i strongly recommend an Oral Surgeon.

Using a 2005 national survey of dental fees, I have listed a guide to the costs of having a tooth extracted. Please increase these figures by about 6% to approximate 2008 fees.

Full Bony Impaction (The entire tooth is encased in bone). Average fee: $410. Range $323 to $562.

Partial bony Impaction (an incision and some bone from around the tooth needs to be removed). Average fee $350. Range $280 to $465

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.