Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
7707004

my 6 year old daughters first molars are coming in. She has

Customer Question

my 6 year old daughter's first molars are coming in. She has been having a bit of pain the last week with the lower left one. She was just at the dentist a week ago for an exam that included x-rays, and there was no concern about that tooth. The pain woke her up at midnight last night & today she came home from school in alot of pain. The left side of her cheek was swollen and she was running a low grade fever. The surrounding area of her 6 year molar is very red and inflamed. I gave her an oral Motrin and she rinsed twice with salt water before bed. She just woke a bit ago & her entire left side of her face is now swollen, she's still in a lot pain & still running a low grade fever. I'm not sure if I should wait until morning to contact her Dentist or take her to the ER.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 6 years ago.

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Your daughter has an infection of the tissue flap that is partially covering the erupting tooth. Food has percolated under the flap, too far removed for her to clean out with her tooth brush. You are doing all the right things but she needs to be placed on some antibiotics. This situation will take care of itself as the tooth continnues to erupt and the flap dissolves away. But for now, she needs the assistance of the antibiotics t reduce the swelling and eliminate the infection. It's your call whether to go the toe ER just to get a prescription as that is all they will do and it's an expensive way to get one. Tomorrow morning her dentist can call one into a local pharmacy for you and she can start taking it at that time.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX DDS

Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience: Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for your informative response.