Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.

I seem to have a series of bone spurs growing along my upper

I seem to have a series of bone spurs growing along my upper jaw on the right side of my mouth. A couple of years ago, two small ones broke through and caused me a couple days of pain. I was able to break them loose with my finger nail and remove them with needle nose pliers. This last weekend another one broke through that seems to be quite a bit larger and further back where I can't get at it as easy. Another one feels like it is close to breaking through. They cause me a bit of discomfort and I believe that the latest one is the cause of some sort of infection that is showing up as painful "zits" on my forehead and nose. What the heck is this and what do I do about it?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 8 years ago.

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

These recurring bone spurs you are encountering are called exostoses. Because of the specific location of yours they are called buccal exostoses. You can see a picture of a more severe case with description here:

Normally these do not break through the skin and require no treatment. However, since yours tend to do so, you should consider having them removed professionally by an oral surgeon, who can smooth these extra bits of bone flush with the normal jaw, rather than just breaking them off, leaving a jagged surface, which promotes their regrowth. You can find the contact details of an oral surgeon near you by following this link:

There is no relation between these exostoses and the skin problem you are having on your face.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.