Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
8847979

hi i have a awful taste in my mouth it unbareable i can taste

hi i have a awful taste in my mouth it unbareable i can taste and smell it i brush rinse floss scrape waterpick andvthe taste never goes, the last time i seen a dentist about a year ago i had a small hole in a tooth 3rd from the back of my mouth he said it was decayed but would just fill it it took a long time and wasnt as simple as he thought ,during the time he was doing it i felt a big thing brake of from my tooth dont no what it was but he finished it and said it might be ok but i might have to go back he also gave me antibiotics,well it was almost a year and a bit later and the side of the same tooth chipped off and then around 4 weeks ago some of the filling came out so i have half a tooth now with some filling left in which i can see on my gum , most of the tooth is black this past 2 week i have this horrendous taste i cant get rid off i smells bad i have coated white or yellow tounge first i thought it might be thrush could this be to do with the tooth ? thank you for any help
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.

I am sorry to hear about your discomfort.

Black discoloration indicates that your tooth is definitely decayed.The main cause of tooth decay is presence of acid on the surface of teeth

Bacterial plaque is source of acid secretion which stimulates tooth decay and causes this bad smell.

Decay inside a tooth creates a situation where there is little oxygen and it creates a favorable envoirment for the sulfur metabolizing bacteria i.e the anaerobes to act on the decayed matter which gives rise to unpleasant smell and taste.

Trapped food particles between the teeth also all encourage the growth of growth of bacterial organisms and make the taste worse.

Loss of filling can also let seepage of bacterial products and saliva which can contribute to the progression of caries.

There is also possibility of secondary caries in your previously filled tooth thereby causing decay which appears black as you can see now when half of it is broken. These caries occur under the restoration and they continue to undermine the tooth surface.

So, you are correct and you have assumed it right...Unpleasant taste is because of the decayed tooth which needs to be evaluated and re-filled by your dentist as soon as possible.

See the link for some detailed information on this topic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cavities/DS00896/DSECTION=when-to-seek-medical-advice

I hope this helps!

If you are satisfied please don't forget to ACCEPT the answer.BONUSES and positive feedback are always appreciated.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to respond to this question.

Good Luck!

Dr. Hans

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi thank you for your help but the thing is the taste seems to be coming from my tounge ? could the bacteria from the tooth be transferring on to my tounge ? its like i can feel it on my tounge building up even 5 mins after brushing my teeth ? the taste really is horrendous and also it seems like i have a smell from my nose aswell could that come from a infected tooth ? i really am confused i no i have to go to the dentist about it but i almost feel embarressed because the smell its so bad its like i havn't brushed my teeth in months but i only brushed them 5 mins ago i also have recceding gums could this maybe be the cause of the smell on my tounge ? also this past 2 weeks ive noticed small white dots on the back of my tounge i can scrape them off but they come back ? flossing my teeth doesnt do anything at all for the smell and taste thanks again for your help
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
Hello again and thank you for your response.

In case of decayed tooth the unpleasant taste can affect the entire mouth and thus even tongue.As you breathe you can feel it coming from your nose too.Its all inter-related.

Please don't feel embarrassed about going to a dentist as this will worsen the situation more for you and also for your tooth as decay/caries is an irreversible process and it will continue to undermine the tooth surface which demands professional help!I am sure your dentist will comfort you well and provide you the correct treatment after clinically examining your tooth.Any decay(the black surface) has to be removed and the tooth needs a re-filling and a build up as it is half broken.

Receding gum's can be due to over-brushing which will encourage periodontal/gum disease ,which also contributes to the bad taste you experience in your mouth.

Caries tooth + periodontal disease= more bacteria= more unpleasent taste.

At this point home remedies and self help(which i assume you have done it all!,) will not help you much and may be you'll feel the taste is gone as soon as you brushed or flossed but it will tend to come back as the source of the smell is not yet treated.

The raised white dots are the normal anatomy of the tongue the papillae-fungiform and at the extreme back are the circumvallate papilla which are about to 8-10 in number.These contain taste buds and are not related to the bad taste you are having in your mouth,probably you are noticing them now.

I hope this helps!

Good Luck!

Dr. Hans

Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience: 11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.