tpkDDS
tpkDDS, Dentist
Experience:  Licenced in 2 states for General Practice, Orthodontic residency, MBA
11936626

my 4 year old son fell and knocked his front tooth loose 6

my 4 year old son fell and knocked his front tooth loose 6 days ago and just saw the dentist today. The initial trauma has healed and he showed no outward signs of infection but today the dentist told me his root is infected and put him on antibiotics for 2 weeks and then they will pull the tooth. My question is: is it really necessary to pull the tooth if the medication kills the infection? the dentist told me the infection might damage ihis permanent teeth and I don't want that to happen of course, but I don't really want to have the tooth pulled if there is a chance he can keep it, as I dont want him to go 2 more years until his permanent teeth come in.
Category: Dental
Expert:  tpkDDS replied 8 years ago.
If there is an infection in the root of the primary tooth it is wise to extract the tooth. This infection can very well cause damage to the developing permanent successor. The medication may kill or only sustain this infection. If the infection in the primary tooth reoccurs then there is a greater chance for damage to the permanent tooth. In short, it would be better to pull the tooth if there is a chance of infection. You may think your will look funny, but it is better than a stained or decalcified permant tooth and two years will go by quickly.