Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.

i have two ulcers in my tooth extraction site. is this anything

i have two ulcers in my tooth extraction site. is this anything to worry about ?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

There are three possibilities :

1. The ulcers are stress realted apthous ulcers, which are coincidentally present near the area where the extractions were done.

They heal in about 7 days , but during this period they are extremely painful. There is great dificulty in talking, eating and swallowing.

There have been various factors that have been linked to the cause of RAS:

- genetic basis
- stress
- smoking
- nutritional deficienies
- immune basis

The treatment consists of a multipoint approach, consisting of the following:

1. Tetracyclin in the form of mouth swish or expectorate. This is effective for its antibacterial action.

2. Topical anesthetic in the form of a Benzocaine paste. This helps to numb the pain temporarily.

3. A topical steroid gel containing Triamcinolone Acetonide. This helps to reduce the inflammation.

4. A 15 day course of vitamin B complex capsules. This helps to correct any nutritional deficiencies.

I recommend that you read this excellent article on apthous ulcers:

2. They are Traumatic ulcers, which have been caused by the careless use of instruments during the extraction, which may have punctured the oral mucosa.

They will heal in a weeks time. Out of the 4 lines of treatment for apthous ulcers, ponits no 2 and 3 will help in this case as well.

3. The "ulcers" that you mention , if are present directly on the area where the tooth/teeth were present then it could be a condition called as Dry Socket.

In this conditon, the extraction socket does not heal on time, and a gaping hole is seen for a few weeks.

You could consider a strong analgesic like Ketorolac, which would bring about adequate pain relief.

You can learn more about Ketorolac at

Im sorry, but for Dry Sockets, Patience is the key. Till you can visit your dentist,avoid hot, spicy and hard foodstuff. Take more of cold, sweet and soft food.

Whn you do visit your dentist, have a zinc-oxide eugenol based dressing placed in your extraction socket. This would have to be reviewed periodically and changed if required.

See this resource for more information :

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.