Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

I have several loose teeth. What can I do to prevent loosing

I have several loose teeth. What can I do to prevent loosing them completely.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Do you have your molar teeth or any teeth missing in the back region of your mouth?(lower or upper)

Has your dentist taken the full mouth radiographs(x-rays) on your last visit?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I have back teeth on bottom both sides missing. I have ordered a partial which is due in about a week. I have been missing those teeth for a couple of years now.

Yes I have had x-rays on my last visit. Also a treatment I believe called resine. Will the teeth tighten back up?

Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 5 years ago.

Hello again and welcome to just answer.

Thank you for the additional information.

So we have two things here:

1) 1)Loose teeth and 2) gap from the teeth shifting.

I will discuss both the queries one by one.

1)Loose teeth are the symptoms of periodontal disease. Periodontal disease or gum disease is a chronic, low grade infection of the gums surrounding the teeth. As it progresses, it slowly dissolves the bone around your teeth and over the period of time your teeth can become loose. This infection is triggered by bacterial plaque which lies below the gingval margin (as subgingival deposits) and is usually hard to clean with brush. This results in deepening of gingival sulcus thereby leading to pocket formation which attracts more of these toxins and it therefore becomes a vicious cycle.

Swollen gums, bad breath, bleeding from gums,bone loss(seen in x-rays), dull pain in the teeth while eating are all symptoms of periodontal disease which manifest as disease progresses.

Many times, the patient is unaware of this disease as these clinical symptoms until the disease gets on to an advanced stage.

Periodontal disease can surely be treated and many of these symptoms can be reversed.

It is good thing that you have started with the right treatment and have already undergone the phase- I therapy of scaling and root planning (teeth cleaning) which will prevent from escalating the disease to the level that cause further bone loss and shrinking of the gum's.

2) Gap from the teeth shifting:

Your front bottom teeth are shifting and the gap is created due to your missing molars on the back side. As the gum area was left empty the adjacent teeth started drifting into that area, this is called as Pathologic tooth migration.

Soft tissue forces of the tongue, cheeks, and lips are known to cause tooth movement and in some situations can cause pathologic tooth migration.

The forces are known to act towards the centre i.e. towards the mesial side of the tooth which is why all your front teeth have spaces; they have flared up and are loose. Eruption forces sometimes play a role in its etiology as there is some tooth movement taking place throughout the age; the drifting teeth become crooked and misaligned causing gaps between them.

-Coming to your query about the loose teeth:

Splinting is an excellent way by which your loose teeth can be joined with your other teeth, with the help of a wire or resin bonding agents. Splinting the teeth allows weakened teeth to be supported by the neighboring teeth. The teeth will tighten back within 6-7 weeks.

Read more about it here in detail in the link:

http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/splinting_teeth.htm

I hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again if you have any doubts or related queries.

I wish you well!

Regards,

Dr.Hans

Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience: 11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.