Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

if you get all teeth removed in preparation for dentures, but

if you get all teeth removed in preparation for dentures, but do not want immediate denture placement for gums to heal completely so dentures fit better, approx. how long do the sessions take to remove teeth, done in increments? and are you put to sleep, and how long for gums to heal? i have chronic pkd and am at ckd4 and onlyl 20% of kidney usage. they need to remove kidneys and do a lobectomy on my liver   because my body size does not accomodate the organs, they are crowding out other organs.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

I will answer your query one by one.

1) All the teeth in your mouth will not be removed at once. We (dentists) have divided our mouth into 4 quadrants for our convenience. Two to three teeth on one side of the arch, say in one quadrant of your mouth will be removed on a chosen particular day of tooth removal after which a gap of about a week(period of initial healing and suture also suture removal is given for the next appointment. In case of lower/upper front 6 teeth, all the teeth can be taken out in one sitting. So you can have an estimate of many sitting you will require. (Given the number of remaining teeth in your mouth, it would have been easy for me to tell you the approximate number of sittings that will be required!)

2) Coming to second query: are you put to sleep?

Usually the extraction procedures are carried out under local anesthesia ,however if you feel that you won’t be comfortable under it and want to be total pain free while there removal, you can also choose over widely sedation methods available these days and get your work done,Other types of sedations available are:

1) Nitrous oxide2) Conscious Sedation,3) IV Sedation.4)GA

You can talk to your dentist and come up with the best possible sedation method suitable for yourself. These sedatives are safe to use and you can choose them for yourself to get your work done smoothly, work can be accomplished without bothering you or causing any pain to you.

Read more about them in detail here:

3)Coming to your third query- how long for gums to heal?

It will take minimum 6 weeks for the gums to return to their normal function and resiliency, however dentures can be given after 2 to 6 months time period after all the extractions are over. Once the denture is given within this time span it is bound to get loose soon due to continuous bone resorption under the denture, therefore the dentures need to be relined soon ..say within 6 -8 m months time period.

I would also like to add few more things here. Finding a dentist who takes medicare will be a very difficult thing as these days most of the dentists don’t take medicare.

However, if you are not having sufficient funds to undergo a dental treatment fillings, crowns etc, you can still re-think of saving as many of your's natural teeth as possible .So, for an affordable dental treatment,you can try the following avenues and see if they work for you.

1) Try to contact your local dental state association for help. They can guide to find charitable organizations, discounted programs or dental foundations operating in your area that charge less or very minimal fee. You can find the contact details of your local dental society by following this link:

2. You can also contact a dental school nearby you; treatment rendered here is less expensive as compared to private dentists. Treatment is provided by dental students under the supervision of their skilled teachers and supervisors

3) You can also try the following links of camps and free clinics in and around your city.

I hope this helps!

If you have any more questions, please feel free to respond to this question. If you are satisfied please don't forget to ACCEPT the answer. BONUSES and positive feedback are always appreciated.

Good Luck!

Dr. Hans